Monday 13 August 2018

Textile Postcard Week # 46

August 12th -18th 2018


This is a postcard with a difference! It is an 'off-cut' from a small quilt. The backing fabric is hand dyed fine cotton. The image (the off-cut) is made from brown paper which was dampened and scrunched, followed by a light ironing. I then painted it in a red rust colour. After the paint dried I embossed it by using a variegated cotton thread in my sewing machine. Finally the piece was rubbed and polished with Treasure Pewter. I was aiming to make the piece look like pressed steel which early last century was used to line the walls in homes.

The image below is the original small quilt, sized 40cm x 40cm, from which the off-cuts were taken. It was made in 2014 and entered and accepted in Ozquilt 'Australia Wide 4'. I think the technique was unusual and very effective.


'Memories in Metal'

No comments:

Post a Comment